Saturday, April 6, 2013

Selecting Bars and Picks

In this post I want to talk about bars and picks. Lets start with bars. I use bar, slide and tone bar interchangeably. The bar needs to be long enough to accommodate your 6,8, 10, or 12 string guitar. The next thing to consider is the material of the bar. There are bars with composite coatings and others from stainless steel. I have used both and I prefer the stainless steel variety. The next thing to consider is the diameter of the bar. Bars come in 7/8", 15/16", and 1" diameters. The larger diameter bars will sustain better and the heavier the bar helps sustain. The smaller diameter bars are easier to be precise with. I have been using a 7/8" bar and I am going to switch to a 15/16" bar.

Steel guitar slides or tone bars
Stainless Steel Bar 15/16" and Tribo Tone bar 7/8"

Steel guitar tone bar 7/8"
7/8" on Fret board - Note the amount of area compared to the 15/16" bar

15/16" Stainless Steel slide


Picks

I use National thumb picks as they are more comfortable on my thumb than others. Look around and pick what feels like a good fit for you. I paid particular attention to the blade of the pick. Some were too wide or had unusual shapes for which I could not appreciate how I felt I had to position my right hand. Other people may have more specific reasons for picking one thumb pick over another and I would love to hear those opinions and share them. Who knows I may change my opinion.

With the finger picks there are two things to consider. First, the thickness of the material. I use a Dunlop 0.13 thick pick. It is made out of nickel and silver. Another good brand to consider is National. My very first set of finger picks were National. My reason for switching to Dunlop was laziness! The Dunlop was readily available locally. Since my initial switch, my local supplier has not kept their supplies levels upo. I may end up switching back to Nationals if I have to order them.

steel guitar picks
Steel guitar Picks


Wearing and molding the finger picks is something I need to share with you. You have to be careful how you mold the finger picks. When I put new picks on for the first time I slide the pic up my finger at about the mid point on the band is lined up with the bottom of the cuticle. carefully bend the pick around your finger with the pick on. Now, for the tricky part. You need a flat surface like a desk or table and NOT the top of your guitar. place your finger on the table with the base of the pick resting on the table. Now slowly roll your finger until your finger tip is vertical. This will roll the pick smoothly to your finger. You do not want any harsh bends. When you play the guitar if the band gets stuck on a string above where you want to play, you need to adjust/mold the pick closer to your finger. Also make sure that your hand is in the proper picking position.

Fitting Steel guitar pics
Initial position on the finger



Fitting Steel guitar pics
Ready to mold the pick



Fitting Steel guitar pics
Start rolling your finger


Fitting Steel guitar pics
Continue rolling your finger


Fitting Steel guitar pics
Almost done!


After the last roll in the picture above you may still need to bend the pick. Place a finger along the underside of the pic and gently roll the pick toward the tip of your pick finger. When done make sure the side rings are flat against the top of your finger otherwise they will catch on strings when you play.

If you get a crease in the pick then you did not do it right.

With the pictures and the description, I hope this is clear. It is better to show someone in person. If you have difficulty or need more information send mea message.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Searched everywhere for this. Thanks for posting.
    Alick Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comments. Easy to follow. I use the same kind of picks that you use. Do you know what exactly Bobby Igano uses for a bar? It's white. I'm wondering which exactly (brand and size). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete